Saturday 17 August 2013

people and things seem to help more than ever gets acknowledged.



Apologies for not coming up with a more snappy title!
the bold and italicized text is a quote I noticed on my travels through Cambridge University/Addenbrookes Hospital Neuroscience department whose sentiments I wholeheartedly agree with but speaking as a patient, have rarely seen on my travels through UK NHS Healthcare.

"Many of the most significant and interesting challenges of the modern world require boundary-crossing collaborations"
Alison Richard, Vice Chancellor at Cambridge Neuroscience, University of Cambridge

I guess she's referring to research but as one the eventual potential recipients of this research, to be honest, it makes me want to cry how little collaboration there appears to be in the process of caring for people in the face of the unknown/unacknowledged.

These medical professionals know all to well about the vascular connection in “MS”. Dr. Fox/Cleveland Clinic had his own autopsy presentation (valvular malformation or so) at ECTRIMS back in 2010/2011 pretending he discovered some new stuff. I can’t remember exactly the year and I didn’t save this neuro junk science either. Nevertheless they are not to shy to recruit/kill more people with “MS” by treating a fantasy disease to make as much $$$ until the Multi-Billion$-“MS”-bubble is bursting! Btw., I’m pretty sure, meanwhile the neuroland majority is informed about the content of Dr. Schelling’s book, which doesn’t mean they understand it."
please contact me if you'd like the details of where I found this quote and reproduced it (removing identifiers as I didn't seek permission).


Dr Franz Schelling is the most interesting contributor to this conference (speaking as a layperson) and not just because his research, started in the 70s. He initially looked at hydrocephalus in children which soon took in other neurodegenerative conditions including MS. Paolo Zamboni talked extensively with him before releasing the Liberation Procedure onto the world.
But the other reason I think Dr Schelling's interesting is because we've chatted on Facebook. 
Social networking's an incredibly democratising technology which, again speaking as a patient, I believe could be such a force for good in medicine. 
I've also been lucky enough to have digitally engaged with Michael Arata an interventional radiologist on the west coast of the US who told me why the double blind placebo controlled gold standard of clinical trials didn't really suit MS. He is of the opinion that the vagus nerve gets a nudge during angioplasty and hypothesizes that the reported far from universally, good effects of Liberation treatments have an effect on the parasympathetic nervous system for this reason. I think I've quoted our Facebook conversation elsewhere on this blog. I don't believe that neurologists can deal with MS on their own. This would appear to be a very good place to go to get a handle of who's who in the list of medical professionals who are investigating a vascular hypothesis that explains symptoms patients are presenting with or developing rather than the condition from which they nominally suffer.


Ben Goldacre is very good at drawing attention to the plight of drug companies who, to protect their profits sometimes lose unfavourable studies that don't reinforce the worth of buying into their products at the various stages in a drug's development.

In the process of  so beautifully shining the light of publicity onto this practice we can see, at the very edge of that circle of light lies the great work of Sir Iain Chalmers who was part of developing the Cochrane meta analyses of published studies and Ibelieve was also instrumental in developing the James Lind Alliance which I joined a couple of years ago and was fortunate enough to take part in one of their priority setting partnerships earlier this year, hosted by the MS Society at the other Edgware road in London 

People seem to be so unwilling to say where they got help from or whose idea it was in the first place... so these are the folk who first came up with the idea of getting patients and clinicians together round a table.

Chi Kung is a process of very small movements that I have found calms the mind.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mike.tabrett/id29.htm

A Feldenkrais practitioner who I found online after hearing the treatment's name at my local MS Therapy Centre, Valerie Fabre, very luckily lives even closer to me than Addenbrookes Hospital. She is more of the opinion of http://www.normandoidge.com/normandoidge.com/MAIN.html who holds that the brain is imminently plastic and malleable and with the right neural reminders set in place an increasingly immobile body might become a little less so. 
it could all be pie in the sky but I find it easier to work with than hearing "your brain is shrinking at quite a rate and you can't do a thing about it"
I'm grateful this neurologist, who is a thoroughly nice bloke, discharged me a few years ago.



No comments:

Post a Comment